Time Shifters - Shanna Lauffey

*Book source ~ Purchased at Amazon

Akalya is different than a regular human. She is a member of the Harekaiian and they are time shifters. They don’t know exactly how or why they are different than others, only that they can use their mind to shift through time and distance, but never at the same time. They live simply and peacefully trying their best to stay under the radar of anyone who might harm them to find out how they do what they do. When Akalya witnesses the capture of some of her brethren and manages to escape, she realizes it’s up to her to find out who the enemy is, why they’re nabbing her people and, most importantly, rescue the victims. Luckily, she has time on her side.

While this is predominantly sci-fi it’s also a thriller as Akalya races to find out how to rescue her people. Fortunately, she can shift back and forth in time, so the task isn’t as urgent as it could be. She literally has time on her hands to gather intel and plan what to do. Her movements and thought process are interesting and the time and distance shifting becomes quite complicated as she tries to avoid any contact with the enemy. I’ve always had a problem when it comes to time travel books and that’s probably why I tapered off in reading them. However, even though I couldn’t quite grasp the mechanics of time travel in this book, it didn’t squash my enjoyment of the story. I like Akalya and her solutions. Her knowledge of her people and their abilities is also fascinating. Even though she’s no scientist or expert in biology she still has a decent understanding of how her people shift. The plot is a bit simplistic as are the solutions she applies and there isn’t a lot of character development, but overall I enjoyed it very much. There is resolution in this episode, but the door is wide open for the overall arc to continue and I’m looking forward to it.

Source: http://imavoraciousreader.blogspot.com/2014/09/99-challenge-time-shifters.html